The expansion of e-mobility infrastructure creates enormous challenges, not only to power suppliers and manufacturers of the charging technology, but also to the public sector and consumers.
The global climate targets for reducing greenhouse gases make the rapid expansion of nationwide charging infrastructures one of the most urgent tasks.
The underground installation of pipes and cables can make a decisive contribution to accelerating the expansion and significantly reducing costs and the consumption of resources.
This is because, in contrast to classic open construction, these trenchless technologies eliminate the need to dig up the surface along the entire pipe or cable route.
Reduction of time, costs and emissions
Trenchless installation methods provide intelligent, economical and sustainable solutions for the efficient and low-emission expansion for this charging station infrastructure.
Considering that 80 per cent of the costs in conventional, open installation are accounted for by civil engineering, it’s easy to imagine the potential savings if surfaces and resources can be protected when applying underground installation techniques with their de facto ‘minimally invasive’ procedures.
The major advantages of these so-called ‘NODIG’ technologies over open construction methods are obvious:
- Valuable surfaces and resources are saved, because costly excavation and restoration work is no longer necessary
- Traffic is hardly impaired, consequential damage to the road surface is avoided
- Significantly reduced environmental pollution, i.e. significantly less consumption of natural capital and hardly any emissions of fine dust, CO2, noise
- High social compatibility, i.e. hardly any disturbance to residents and business
- Short construction and set-up times, fast construction, high adherence to schedules
- Significantly lower direct and indirect costs compared to open construction
- Reliable and standard-compliant technology that has been tried and tested for decades
In addition to the economic and ecological advantages of trenchless technology, its high social compatibility can make a major contribution to the general acceptance of e-mobility.
By boosting e-mobility, effective measures are taken to preserve and protect the environment and thus contribute to achieving climate targets. It makes all the more sense if the construction measures themselves are carried out in an ecologically sensible and less disruptive manner, and do not lead to a further deterioration in the environmental balance of municipalities.
Flexible and intelligent trenchless solutions
Intelligent trenchless solutions are not only economical for serial installation of charging points, but also for the construction of individual charging points. Depending on the type and length of the individual connections to the distribution network, the capacity and also the number of charging points, different systems and methods can be used.
The options are:
- Fast and simple underground installation of the protection pipes for power and control cables, from the connection point (sub-distribution) to the charging station and between the charging stations
- Trenchless technology is equally economical for small or large numbers of individual charging stations
- House connections for the power supply of the charging stations can also be installed without trenches
- With the minimally invasive keyhole technique, the construction pit can be used as the foundation of the charging station
- Elaborate, proven and tested system technology, applicable in almost all types of soil including rock
The range of applications for the low-emission expansion of e-mobility in private, semi-public and public sectors ranges from the power supply for the wallbox at home, from charging points at hotels, shopping malls or on the street, even to cables for large triple chargers, e.g. at motorway service stations.
Various methods are available to install protection pipes for power and control cables from the connection point (sub-distribution) to the charging station and in between the charging stations.
Want to learn more about Trenchless Technology? View the TRACTO-TECHNIK content hub here.
This partner content was brought to you by TRACTO-TECHNIK. Fore more information, click here.