Genex Power Limited has announced that construction activities are continuing for the 250MW/2,000MWh Kidston Pumped Storage Hydro Project (K2-Hydro), which remains on track for energisation in 2024.
Following continued excavation works in favourable ground conditions, Genex has reported the powerhouse cavern roof has now been fully excavated.
The focus of works is now on a program of rock bolting and shotcreting the wall structures before the works will step down to commence the first bench excavation. Concurrently, works for excavation of the construction adits and main access tunnel continue to progress also in very favourable (type 1) ground conditions.
The ventilation shaft has also now been completed with the raisebore machine currently progressing the electrical cable shaft, which is the second of four vertical shafts.
Significant progress continues to be made on the Powerlink 275kV transmission line from Kidston to Guybal Munjan (Mt Fox) and associated connection infrastructure. Since the Company’s announcement on 29 March 2023, the following key activities have taken place:
- Concrete foundations and steel erection for the transmission line lattice towers have commenced
- Strong progress continues at Guybal Munjan substation with the installation of civil foundations and below ground conduits for the commencement of civil earthworks
- Preparation works have continued for the Aurumfield substation at Kidston (K2X) with pad subgrade works nearing completion
- Major procurement is complete, with the long lead time shunt reactors for both Guybul Munjan and Aurumfield now in Australia
- Progression of the K2H switchyard with the installation of the control room and ongoing works associated with the installation of primary steelwork, equipment and cabling
- Completion of the major concrete foundations for the four transmission line monopoles between K2H and Aurumfield, the largest being a 220m3 single concrete pour
Other works include:
- Works on Wises Dam are continuing to progress well, with the first section of high density polyethylene liner being placed
- Excavation of the Intake Canal has been completed to its final level
- Delivery of electromechanical equipment remains on track with the next deliveries scheduled to arrive in Australia in 2023
Featured images: Kidston Pumped Storage Hydro construction. Courtesy of Genex Power.