A new Government Chief Information Officer for Western Australia has been appointed.
Greg Italiano was appointed following a formal process, and will commence in the role on 17 December 2018.
He has worked in a number of senior roles within the Western Australian public sector, including as Executive Director Corporate Services within the Department of Justice, where he was overseeing its digital transformation.
Mr Italiano will lead the Office of Digital Government within the Department of the Premier and Cabinet and be responsible for the state’s digital reform agenda to deliver better services to the community. This agenda is focused on:
- Implementing higher cyber security standards across government
- Improving delivery of online services to the community
- Developing policy and strategy to support a culture of data protection and sharing
- Building data analytics capabilities within the public sector to underpin good policy development and better targeted service delivery
- Supporting the implementation of information technology procurement reforms across the sector
- Investigating strategies to reduce the digital divide and any digital disadvantage
ICT Minister, Dave Kelly, said, “I congratulate Mr Italiano on his appointment as Western Australia’s new Government Chief Information Officer.
“Mr Italiano has a proven track record as a collaborative leader, and demonstrated experience bringing strategy, technology and efficiency together.
“The McGowan Government is committed to efficiently and securely delivering world-class services, and a public sector enabled by technology is fundamental to that vision.
“I look forward to working with Mr Italiano in bringing leadership to this important area of public sector reform.”
Lauren ‘LJ’ Butler is the Assistant Editor of Utility magazine and has been part of the team at Monkey Media since 2018.
After completing a Bachelor of Media, Communications and Professional Writing at the University of Wollongong in 2014, and prior to writing about the utility sector, LJ worked as a Journalist and Sub Editor across the horticulture, hardware, power equipment, construction and accommodation industries with publishers such as Glenvale Publications, Multimedia Publishing and Bean Media Group.