City West Water will conduct a $3.7million water main renewal project in Essendon and Moonee Ponds to replace 100 year old water pipes.

The project will take place along the Lincoln Road/Waverley Street corridor in Melbourne and take approximately eight months to complete.

City West Water Managing Director, Anne Barker, said the old water mains are made of riveted wrought iron which are prone to corrosion and ruptures by ground movement.

“These works will replace the old water mains with modern plastic pipe, limiting water leaks and bursts in this part of the network. It will also mean fewer interruptions to water services to our customers located in the area,” Ms Barker said.

The works will see water mains replaced in stages along Lincoln Road, Buckley Street, Waverley Street, Orford Street and Maribyrnong Roads in Essendon and Moonee Ponds.

Ms Barker said the project is part of a plan to invest $110million dollars over five years in water infrastructure replacement across inner and western areas of Melbourne.

“It’s a program of ongoing upgrades that ensure our water supply network operates efficiently,” Ms Barker said.

The first stage of works will start at the Waverley St and Holmes Rd intersection before relocating to Lincoln Rd where works will progress south until completed. Each of the six stages will take approximately between three to five weeks to complete.

Jessica Dickers is an experienced journalist, editor and content creator who is currently the Editor of Utility’s sister publication, Infrastructure. With a strong writing background, Jessica has experience in journalism, editing, print production, content marketing, event program creation, PR and editorial management. Her favourite part of her role as editor is collaborating with the sector to put together the best industry-leading content for the audience.

©2024 Utility Magazine. All rights reserved


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.


Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?