A 39 year-old man has died in hospital, after being electrocuted during routine maintenance work in Sydney.
The Ausgrid linesman, who was a member of the Electrical Trades Union (ETU), was part of a crew from Ausgrid’s Gore Hill depot who were working on the replacement of a low voltage power pole in Lane Cove when the incident occurred.
ETU Secretary, Justin Page, said the union was offering its full support to the worker’s family and colleagues.
“Our thoughts are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this tragic time,” Mr Page said.
“We will be providing whatever practical support we can to assist the family as they deal with the devastating loss of a loved one, along with the emotional and financial hardships that inevitably follow.
“While the union will be working closely with Ausgrid and safety regulators to better understand the cause of this fatality, it is not appropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident today.
“The most important action right now is for this worker’s family, friends and colleagues to receive the support they need.
“Once the cause of the accident is known we will strongly advocate for appropriate improvements to safety standards and be vigilant to ensure Ausgrid and other electricity distributors put in place those measures to prevent a repeat of this tragedy,” he said.
Lauren ‘LJ’ Butler is the Assistant Editor of Utility magazine and has been part of the team at Monkey Media since 2018.
After completing a Bachelor of Media, Communications and Professional Writing at the University of Wollongong in 2014, and prior to writing about the utility sector, LJ worked as a Journalist and Sub Editor across the horticulture, hardware, power equipment, construction and accommodation industries with publishers such as Glenvale Publications, Multimedia Publishing and Bean Media Group.